WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?

Another album review because I really enjoyed writing the last one!

This time it's WWAFAWDWG, another Billie Eilish album. I've listened to it a number of times but I definitely favour some songs, so my familiarity ranges from having lyrics memorized and being able to play the song in my head, to only being able to recognize it when it comes on. I really do hope she performs some of the songs off of this album at her concert in 2022 because I'd love to hear these live.

1. !!!!!!!

When I first listened to her music I thought this was the weirdest, stupidest thing ever, but now I can recognize that it's just her being her and with context she probably thought it was a super funny moment. For us, we're left in the dark. 3/10

2. bad guy

As far as my understanding goes, this was her biggest hit off of this album. I used to not like this song as much, but it's really grown on me and I quite enjoy it now. It's fun to sing along to, it's fun to groove to, and it just sounds great. The ending used to be my least favourite thing on the album, but I've gotten used to it so I don't mind it anymore. This feels like the kind of song you'd sing with a smirk on your face. 8/10

3. xanny

As someone with a severe anxiety disorder, this song is pretty relatable. If there was one thing I never wanted to do, it's take something like Xanax. I was always so terrified of getting addicted to them, and still am, but thankfully there's plenty of alternatives.
The first verse is also quite relatable, a lot of the people I was friends with tended to also have anxiety or some kind of mental health issue, and a lot of them turned to cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs to cope. I don't judge them, but I sometimes also felt like the "only one who's not stoned", it really sucked to see my friends wasting away and damaging their bodies, and I was sad to know they were in so much pain they felt that substance usage was the only way out.
This song makes me sad, but it's a good song, the kind I'd listen to late at night. 8/10

4. you should see me in a crown

The knife sound at the beginning is super cool for setting the grounds for this song. I honestly don't have much detailed commentary about the lyrics or the musicality, I think it's a cool song, but it's one I'd get tired of really quickly so I don't listen to it too often. I'd probably listen to it if I needed a confidence boost or something. 6/10

5. all the good girls go to hell

This song is super fun and groovy. Another one where I'm not super sure about the lyrics or what exactly she was trying to convey, but I enjoy listening to this song and I like the accompanying music video. 7/10

6. wish you were gay

I love the structure of this song! Treating heartbreak because of someone's disinterest as a 12-step kind of thing and the countdown structure was SO cool to me and I think it's one of their better lyrical ideas. The melody is fitting for the countdown structure as well, and I like the idea of the song. I think it's relatable to a lot of people, the idea of just wanting a reason for why someone you love isn't reciprocating the feelings. Of course, if someone doesn't like you, they just don't, but it sucks anyways if you like them, and I can imagine that in scenarios involving love it can be quite painful, so wanting a reason just to understand is understandable. 
But oftentimes the reason will simply be that they just, aren't interested, they can't explain it, they just aren't. And as much as I understand that -- I've also had instances where someone was interested in me and I didn't reciprocate the feelings but I didn't have a specific reason why, I just didn't -- I can also understand the need for a reason, so wishing there was a simple explanation of that you're simply not the gender they're attracted to makes sense.
Mostly I like the lyrical structure though. Really really like it. 7/10

7. when the party's over

Okay, the music video for this is probably my favourite music video of all time. I love the humming at the beginning, it's quite pretty. The whole song is pretty, I enjoy listening to it and I enjoy crying to it too (although my tears are normal, I promise). For some reason the song makes me want to curl up in bed with some ice cream.
With the music video, 10/10, without it, 8/10.

8. 8

Not gonna lie, I didn't realize until now that this is the eighth track. Very cute of her to do that.
I've listened to this song dozens of times, but I need about a dozen more listens before I figure it out and really form an opinion. For now, 6/10.

9. my strange addiction

I'm assuming this song is about being slightly obsessed with someone who is a bad fit for you, based on the "I'm the powder, you're the fuse / just add some friction" line. I quite enjoy the melody and the spoken bits throughout the song are interesting. 7/10

10. bury a friend

I can easily start this off by saying that this is my favourite song on the album. If you haven't seen it yet, the music video is incredible and is easily up there with the "when the party's over" music video. I love the melody, the beat, the structure, the lyrics, and the overall atmosphere of this song. The song is probably most fitting for the album cover, and includes the album name in the lyrics. 
I love how dark the song is, I mean how many songs do you know that sound fantastic and also include actual recordings from the artist's orthodontic appointment's drill (see an interview with her on YouTube about this song) and have the artist repeating "I wanna end me"? 
The lines "what do you want from me? / why don't you run from me? / ... / why aren't you scared of me? / why do you care for me?" are so so so well written and relatable. I really enjoy this song and could probably write an essay about how good it is, but there's more songs to go and it just finished playing. 10/10 (although the video makes it an 11/10)

11. ilomilo

This song transitions from the previous one since the melody of it begins in the last ten seconds of the previous track. However, it feels slightly forced compared to the two inter-song transitions from HTE.
This song is really sweet and I like the melody, it's one of my favourite ones to listen to regularly. Based on an interview with her that I watched, it's actually about a game called ilomilo, where the goal of the game is to unite the two characters, ilo and milo, who start on opposite sides of the map. It's super cute and I quite like that she managed to write such a pretty song about a sweet video game she played as a kid. 8/10

12. listen before i go

This song makes me cry. My interpretation is someone standing on the edge of a rooftop high up, thinking about jumping. The lyrics sound like a goodbye note. "These salty tears on my cheek / that's what a year long headache / does to you / I'm not okay, I feel so scattered" sounds like something someone struggling with depression would experience. "Sorry, there's no way out / but down" is just, so incredibly sad. And at the end, around 3:52, you can hear sirens in the background and at 3:58 the sound just cuts out with five seconds of the track left, which is silence. Pretty indicative of what happened. 
It's kind of ironic, because the first time I heard this song I wasn't paying attention to the lyrics and thought to myself it sounded a bit like a lullaby, that the song was peaceful enough that I'd fall asleep to it. Needless to say, actually listening to the lyrics was a bit of a shock. 10/10

13. i love you

Right off the bat, the guitar which sticks around throughout the song is really beautiful and builds a great base for the rest of the song to be built upon. I think the lyrics are self explanatory to a good enough extent that I don't need to leave much comment on them.
You can really hear Finneas' voice in this song in places, which is nice. The melody is lilting and it almost feels like the song is holding your hand as it walks you through the lyrics. 9/10

14. goodbye

This song is probably one of the best final tracks I've ever heard on any album. It wraps up all the songs beautifully by combining themes from each song. Not to mention her voice sounds amazing in this song.
"It's not true" is the opening line in i love you, "take me to the rooftop" is the first line of listen before i go, "told you not to worry" is the first line in ilomilo, "what do you want from me" is the opening line from bury a friend, "don't ask questions" is the first sung line from my strange addiction, "wait a minute" is the opening line from 8, "don't you know I'm no good for you" is the first line in when the party's over, "baby I don't feel so good" is the first line in wish you were gay, "all the good girls go to hell" is quite obviously from all the good girls go to hell, "bite my tongue, bide my time" is the opening line from you should see me in a crown, "what is it about them?" is the first line from xanny, and "I'm the bad guy" is obviously from bad guy. She does a full walk through the album in reverse, without making it sound forced and while keeping the song melodic. I really like this ending and personally think it's one of her stronger moments musically. 9/10

Overall this is my favourite album she's released. It fits together well, has some truly incredible moments in it, the music videos are all at the very least intriguing (and at best, fantastic), and there isn't a single song I don't like. 

In the next one of these posts I'll do her other album, along with her singles since that album is quite short.

Comments

Popular Posts